Posted: 3rd April 2019, 2:14 PM
RADLEY PARISH COUNCIL - Part-time development support officer
Radley Parish Council is looking for an able and resourceful individual to help develop and manage a £1.5m expenditure programme. The programme is to be financed by the parish’s share of Community Infrastructure Levy receipts anticipated over the next 7 years.
Hours and pay
Hours worked will be part-time and flexible, expected to amount to between 4 and 8 days a month. They will include one evening meeting every 2 months but are otherwise flexible to suit the appointee. The appointee will work from their own premises.
The parish council is prepared to offer a casual employment contract with salary linked to SCP 20, which is currently £14.73 an hour inclusive of pay in lieu of holiday entitlement. A pension contribution and a home working allowance of £150 pa will be paid in addition. 50 days’ work a year will be guaranteed, with further hours by agreement.
Alternatively, the parish council would welcome expressions of interest to undertake the work on a consultancy basis, indicating the fee rate sought. The budget set aside is £10,000 a year over 7 years.
Core tasks will be to:
- provide general support to the Steering Group through attending bi-monthly meetings, preparing agendas and minutes and keeping the development section of the village website up-to-date;
- prepare a report to the Parish Council annually on the implementation of the Radley Neighbourhood Plan 2031. This sets the framework for the activities of the Development Steering Group.
In addition, to the extent that time/budget permits, it is hoped that the appointee will:
- contribute to the development of firm proposals for individual projects in consultation with the chair or members of the Steering Group. Projects currently under consideration range from a local challenge fund to a new footpath to the construction of a new village hall;
- work with the Clerk on the procurement of projects including the selection, appointment and oversight of contractors;
- monitor development activity on the two strategic housing sites in the parish, maintaining contact with the Clerks of Works, liaising as necessary with the planning authority enforcement team and responding to queries from residents.
The balance of work between these various activities is likely to vary over time. Task (iv) in particular is not expected to arise in the immediate future.
The ideal candidate will have the following skills and aptitudes:
- An ability to master unfamiliar and complex issues quickly, and to analyse and present proposals clearly in writing.
- The ability to deal effectively with a range of people, including Steering Group members, local government officers, contractors and members of the public.
- A flexible approach to work, including a preparedness both to have a go at unfamiliar tasks and to undertake mundane tasks conscientiously.
- The ability to organise a wide-ranging work programme effectively without close supervision, ensuring that agreed tasks are delivered on time and that no agreed task is overlooked.
It is expected that the successful candidate will have some experience of broadly comparable work. Experience of work in a government body and/or in the field of planning and development could be helpful but is not essential.
How to apply
Please apply to the Clerk, Radley Parish Council, email firstname.lastname@example.org. Your application should provide your:
- Name and contact details
- Academic and any relevant professional qualifications
- Current or most recent employment
- An overview of your employment history
- Why you are interested in this job and what special skills and experience you would bring to it.
If you are interested in undertaking this role on a consultancy basis, please also state the hourly rate you are able to offer.
Please also provide names and contact details for two referees. These will be approached only if we are considering appointment.
The deadline for applications is 10 May 2019.